Saturday, August 21, 2010

These Shoes Just Don't Seem to Fit





The title will eventually take shape…you’ll see. 

This has been a long time pet peeve of mine, but after my recent experience, I felt moved to make this my first blog subject.  I hope you enjoy, and more than that, I hope it makes you think.

I’m sure you have either heard or said a phrase similar to one of these, 
“If I were him/her, I would _______, if that happened to me!”  
“Look at that person, can you believe they _________.”
“Why is he/she wearing that?”  Etc…  
(Mrs. A, this does not include shoulder pads!!  J)

I think each and every one of us has made a comment like this in our lifetime, at least once.  <<Some more than others<<  

How quick are ‘we’ to make assessments of other peoples lives.  Each and every time we make these types of comments we are automatically assuming the role of judge and jury.  And we assume we know enough about that person, from whatever small glimpse we may have into their lives, to pass judgment on them.  Which, by the way, isn't in our job title.  That official duty belongs to God. 

You may already know, but 2 of my children have disabilities.   My 3yo has DBD-NOS and severe ADHD, while my 5yo has Asperger’s Syndrome and severe ADHD.   A couple of the issues they both have are tantrums and screaming outbursts.  I often wondered if they were “waking the dead”, as my grandmother used to say, when we were too loud.  I’ve been told you can hear them for miles!! 
You could only imagine the stares, glares, and even comments that are made to me about my children’s behavior in public, by total strangers.  It can make a very calm person feel like they want to explode.   I try to take each one in stride, though some times I just feel like crying after returning home.  In a matter of seconds, I was automatically deemed a “bad” parent with unruly “wild” children.  That couldn’t be further from the truth.   

The same goes for the instances I mentioned in the beginning.  We may never know why someone made the choices they made, took the path they choose, ended up in the situation they are currently in, or why they wore that ‘hideous’ outfit.  It just might have been because they lost everything they had in a house fire and didn’t have insurance.  Maybe they lost their job, then their home, and now they get their clothes from a local shelter. You NEVER know what tragedies someone may be dealing with personally.  So, the next time you find yourself in a position of passing judgment, it might be a good idea to pick up a mirror and take a deep look into your own life. 

John 8:7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

And for the shoes, you can take them off now and give them back to the person who owns them…. Prayer only requires your knees, besides wearing other people shoes will make your feet hurt! 

Until next time, may God bless you as abundantly as He has blessed my family and me…

4 comments:

  1. Girl I hear ya! Reminds me of that saying that you shouldn't judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes. You and I both know there are some people who wouldn't make it half a mile in our shoes.LOL. Keep you head up girl. After all, that's the direction we should all be looking in anyway. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nikki! That's a phrase that Jen and I shared years ago..... "wearing other people's shoes will not only make your feet hurt, but they'll stink too!!" LOL
    You are exactly right, if you walk forward while looking back, you'll probably trip over something!!
    LOVE YA GIRL, thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I am with you all the way on this one, Tracy. You hang in there, sweet one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl you said a mouthful! Couldn't agree w you more. People have said all kinds of things about me and my best friend for the entire time we have been friends. She doesn't come from the same "kind" of family I come from. Some would say (and do say) that she is trouble.... we joke about this if you read my FB page sometimes. Growing up she did get her clothes from places like Goodwill as did her family as thats all they could afford (and still do). They are on welfare as her mom can't work and is on disability and has been for quite some time. Its not for lack of trying as all of the girls had jobs growing up trying to help support the family as well as themselves. Don't recall ever having to use my check from work to help buy groceries when i was 16 but she has. Her dad left them when they were little.... yes there is a reason but I can't exactly say w/o airing her dirty laundry so i wont. Her momma moved in w her gma when she and her 2 sisters were pre-teens and tried to raise them the best that she could. Her mom is a hard woman and very bitter about the divorce. As you can imagine this made a 'lively' home life for my friend.... ah the stories we can tell! Without that upbringing she wouldn't be who she is today though. She probably wouldnt have enlisted in the Navy to escape her home life either. Long story short thats where she would eventually meet her 2nd husband who IMHO is the best thing that ever happened to her. Yes this man would take her 1000 miles away from here.... from not only her family but from me as well. That was the hardest thing she and I have ever had to do was leave each other but it made our friendship stronger. She was judged her entire life for everything she did but had it not happened she wouldn't be the woman, the mother, the strong Christian lady that she is today had she not had all of these things happen to her. we wouldn't be who the 2 of us are and I wouldn't be blessed to have her in my life. There isn't anyone I dont love as much as I do her as she means the world to me and yes I do tell her quite often.

    ReplyDelete